ASMR, or Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, is a rapidly growing niche that is all about triggering relaxation and comfort through sound and video content.
With the rise of smartphones and social media, it has become easier than ever to create and share ASMR content. In this article, we will provide you with tips and techniques for recording ASMR on an iPhone, including recommended accessories and basic audio and video settings.
What is ASMR Recording?
Before diving into the specifics of recording ASMR on an iPhone, it’s essential to understand the basics of ASMR recording. The primary goal of ASMR content is to create a relaxing and immersive experience for viewers. To achieve this, it’s crucial to be mindful of the proximity effect, plosives, and the overall tone of your voice.
The proximity effect refers to the increased bass response that occurs when you speak close to a microphone. While this effect can be useful for ASMR content, it can also create a muddy, distorted sound. To find the sweet spot, experiment with different distances from the microphone and adjust accordingly based on the tone of your voice.
Plosives are sudden bursts of air that occur when pronouncing certain consonant sounds, such as “P” or “B.” These sounds can be challenging to work with in ASMR recordings, as they can be loud and jarring. To avoid this, try speaking slightly off-axis or at a slight angle to the microphone when pronouncing plosive sounds.
Additionally, it’s essential to create a comfortable and calming environment for viewers. ASMR content is all about creating a parallel reality for viewers to immerse themselves in and forget about real-life problems. To achieve this, use soft lighting and soothing visuals to create a relaxing atmosphere.
What are the Recommended Accessories for ASMR Recording on an iPhone?
While it is possible to record ASMR content using just the microphone and camera on an iPhone, there are a few recommended accessories that can enhance the quality of your recordings. Here are some options to consider:
Lightning to USB Adapter
If you have an iPhone with no headphone jack, you will need a lightning to USB adapter to connect external microphones to your phone.
These kits include a tripod or handheld accessory and a shotgun cardioid microphone with a windshield. They allow you to speak directly to the camera and provide a cleaner sound than your phone’s microphone.
These microphones are small and clip-on, making them perfect for capturing natural and warm vocal tones. They are often used by presenters and public speakers and can record 360-degree audio, making them ideal for ASMR content.
Shure MV 88
This microphone is specifically designed for use with smartphones and comes with a couple of free apps for editing and posting content directly from your phone. It connects directly to the lightning jack, so an extension cable may be necessary for proximity.
Using an Audio Interface with Your Phone
While external microphones can improve the sound quality of your recordings, they may not be enough for some creators. If you want to use a condenser microphone, for example, you will need an audio interface to connect it to your phone. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Connect an audio interface to your phone using a TRS to TRRS adapter for Android or a TRRS to Lightning adapter for iPhone.
- Connect the condenser microphone to the audio interface.
- Connect the audio interface to a power source or computer via USB.
- Adjust the audio settings on your phone to record audio from the audio interface.
- Create a wide stereo image with a DAW
- If you want to take your ASMR recordings to the next level, consider using a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) to create a wide stereo image. While not a true binaural sound, a wide stereo image can create a similar immersive experience for viewers. Here’s how:
- Record your audio using your preferred microphone and accessories.
- Import the audio file into your DAW and create a new stereo track.
- Use panning to place the audio elements in a wide stereo image, with some elements panned hard left and others hard right.
- Adjust the volume and EQ of each element to create a balanced and cohesive sound.
- Export the audio file and sync it with your video footage.
With these tips and techniques, you can create high-quality ASMR content using just your iPhone and a few accessories. However, it’s essential to remember that creativity and inspiration are just as important as gear. Sometimes, working with what you have can push you to be more creative and produce better content. So, start today with what you have, and don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things.
Recording ASMR content on an iPhone is a fun and accessible way to get started in the ASMR niche. With the right accessories and techniques, you can create immersive and relaxing content that resonates with viewers. Remember to be mindful of the proximity effect, plosives, and the overall tone of your voice. And don’t forget that creativity and inspiration are the keys to success in the ASMR world. So, get started today, and see where your creativity takes you!
You May Also Like:
- How to screen record on iPhone
- Dominating Apple Upcoming Accessories in 2022
- 07 : Apple iPhone Features You Might Not Know
- How to Inspect Element on iPhone or iPad
- What is ASMR recording, and why is it becoming so popular?
- ASMR recording is a form of audio and video content that is designed to trigger a relaxing and calming response in viewers. It has become increasingly popular in recent years as people seek new ways to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Do I need special equipment to record ASMR on my iPhone?
- While it’s possible to record ASMR content using just your iPhone’s built-in microphone and camera, using external accessories like a tripod, microphone, or audio interface can significantly improve the quality of your recordings.
- What are some common issues I should be aware of when recording ASMR on my iPhone?
- Some common issues to be aware of when recording ASMR content include the proximity effect, plosives, and background noise. It’s important to experiment with different microphone distances and angles to find the sweet spot and use a quiet and calming environment to minimize background noise.
- How can I create a wide stereo image with a DAW?
- To create a wide stereo image for your ASMR content using a DAW, you’ll need to import your recorded audio file and create a new stereo track. Use panning to place the audio elements in a wide stereo image, and adjust the volume and EQ of each element to create a balanced and cohesive sound.
- What are some tips for creating high-quality ASMR content on my iPhone?
- Some tips for creating high-quality ASMR content on your iPhone include using external microphones and accessories, experimenting with different microphone distances and angles, creating a calm and relaxing environment, and using a DAW to create a wide stereo image. Remember to be creative and try new things to keep your content fresh and engaging for your viewers.